This will be slowly developed, as time allows.
This is not intended to be a thorough analysis of all available products – I will seek to highlight good developments or more sustainable options for specific lines of outdoor gear as I become aware of them, and identify places in Australia to source these items, where I can. Where people express differing opinions to mine, I will post their comments in that section.
Obviously, always remember to do your own research. I cannot vouch for every claim made by designers or producers of goods. There is absolutely no financial connection between myself and anything advertised or mentioned here. I would assume that anyone posting items would declare if they have a vested interest in any product they are writing about.
See below for the current categories.
For each company profile I try to find details on the following points of interest (sometimes this is impossible). I cross reference with an external source where I can, but often have to rely on information provided directly by the company.
About the company
category (how good they are overall in terms of applying sustainability and ethical criteria)
- reporting framework: how does the company benchmark what it does/ reports? Does it use one of the international accredited systems
- information on resources used – recycled materials, use of renewable materials, etc
- energy consumption & carbon dioxide emissions
- distance travelled
- waste generated
- water consumption
- working conditions
- other environmental claims or benefits
- details on who stocks the item/ where to find it/ where to get further information